New York Milking Shorthorn takes Junior Supreme, while Maryland Jersey wins Best Bred and Owned
For attendees of this year’s All-American Dairy Show, the announcement that DC Harmony Norma, the Jersey 6-year-old and older class winner owned by Jordan and Jason Thomas of Lowville, NY, was named Supreme Champion, came with a huge round of applause as spectators expressed their appreciation for the quality of this year’s winners.
With the 7-year-old cow winning out over nearly 1,900 head of cattle representing seven dairy breeds, the crowning culminated six days of activities on Thursday, Sept. 18, at the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex and Expo Center in Harrisburg. By winning Supreme Champion, the Thomas family also received a $3,000 cash prize, which was sponsored by Cargill of Shippensburg, Cumberland County.
“This is a truly exceptional cow,” said Judge Pat Conroy. “If you’re looking for a dairy, balanced and graceful animal, she’s it.”
Elliots Cosmo Action, a Jersey senior 3-year-old owned by Ernest Kueffner and Terri Packard of Boonsboro, MD, captured the Supreme Champion Bred and Owned prize earlier in the afternoon. Along with that honor, Kueffner and Packard won a year’s use of a livestock trailer from sponsor M. H. Eby Inc. of Blue Ball, Lancaster County.
Another New York cow, a Milking Shorthorn owned by Peter Vail and Frank and Diane Borba, Hillpoint Partners, of Valatie, NY, took Supreme Champion Heifer with their heifer, Hard Core Premium Fire Maid EXP, this year’s Milking Shorthorn fall calf winner. Along with the Supreme honors, the owners received a $750 prize, sponsored by XTO Energy of Warrendale, Allegheny County.
Sharing in the final day’s promotional activities, Claire Burdette of Mercersburg, PA won a new Polydome feed bin, the featured Door Prize at this year’s AADS. Equipment dealer and sponsor Zartman Farms donated the Polydome bin.
In achieving the Supreme Champion honors, DC Harmony Norma bested six other All-American Grand Champions. They include:
• Ski-Pal L G Kalina, an Ayrshire owned by Gene Iager and Craig Walton, Walkersville, MD. This cow was the Grand and Supreme Champion at the 2014 Iowa State Fair and claimed Grand honors at the 2014 Maryland State Fair.
• Eloc Wagor Kandid, Brown Swiss Grand Champion, owned by Ken Main and Peter Vail, Copake, NY.
• Guernsey Grand Champion, Millborne Hillpoints Fiesta, P Morey Miller, Mike Hillenbrand and Peter Vail, Milborne Farms, Granby, CT. Fiesta was the Reserve Grand Champion at both the All-American Dairy Show and at the World Dairy Expo in 2013. She also won earlier honors the past three years at the AADS as well.
• The Red & White Grand Champion, MS D Apple Danielle-Red-ET, owned by Amanda Kennedy and Chip Savage, Union Bridge, MD. This cow received honors at the 2013 AADS as well.
• This year’s Holstein Grand Champion, Brookvilla Goldwyn Brooks, owned by Ernest Kueffner, Kevin Doberiner and Michael Heath, Boonsboro, MD was also the Reserve Int. Champion and HM Grand at the Maryland State Fair.
• The Milking Shorthorn, Kuszmar Megabeth Poppy, owned and bred by John and Marjoire Kuszlyk, Kuszlyk Cattle County, Batavia, NY. Earlier this year, Poppy was named the First Honorable Mention Grand Champion at the 2014 New York State Fair.
The six other Junior Champions up for the supreme heifer award, with owners and hometowns, were:
• Ayrshire — Paragon-Acres TSB Kinetic, Adam Buckenmeyer, Alexander, NY
• Brown Swiss — Top Acres Peppy Wizella, Ken Main and Peter Vail, Copake, NY
• Guernsey — Guernsey Prairie Grumpy Shayda, Beth Anne Clark, New Paris, Bedford County, PA
• Red & White — Roll-N-View At Mindy-Red-ET, Cooper Galton, Nunda, NY
• Holstein — Luncrest Black Widow-1564, Lloyd and Denise Pease, Susquehanna, Susquehanna County, PA
The six other Best Bred and Owned animals that competed for that supreme title were:
• Ayrshire — Garnet-Lane Avenger Poinsettia, Cassandra Plummer, Galena, MD
• Brown Swiss — Cutting Edge B Gretchen, Ken Main and Peter Vail, Copake, NY
• Guernsey — Sniders Jester Bobrees, Aaron Gable, New Enterprise, Bedford County, PA
• Jersey — Elliots Cosmo Action, Ernest Kueffner and Terri Packard, Boonsboro, MD
• Milking Shorthorn — R-Generation Othellos Lust-EXP, Jason and Jessica Kennedy, Cochranton, Crawford County, PA
• Red & White — Ridgedale Runway-red-et, Cyrus Conard, Sharon Springs, NY