MADISON, WI — Melissa Grimmel of Jarrettsville, MD has won the very prestigious champion senior showmanship honor at the Junior National Hereford Expo in Madison, WI. [Read more…]
EARLVILLE, NY — Stone Mill Dairy sits on 200 acres of lush pastures just outside the town of Hamilton, NY. The 100-percent grassfed organic dairy operation is owned by David and Michelle Stratton.
The farm dates back to the early 1800s, with records of a minister being ordained in the barn in 1814. The current farmhouse was built using beams that were most likely sourced from the church that once stood on the property. [Read more…]
Jonas and Judy Stoltzfus’ 70-acre central Pennsylvania farm included enough acreage for beef cattle, so they decided to purchase some Angus x Charolais heifers to feed out. Several of those heifers were pregnant, and one turned out to be an exceptional producer that produced winning calves for their children’s 4-H projects.
A neighbor told them about the Limousin breed, and Jonas was impressed with the overall appearance of their herd bull. [Read more…]
Dr. Silvia Abel-Caines holds a Master’s Degree in ruminant nutrition, a PhD in large animal veterinary science and another doctorate in Immunology, and for two days moved among us at the Coulee Region Organic Produce Pool (CROPP) Cooperative Regional Agronomics School. (CROPP is known for their Organic Valley® label).
Soil health is Albel-Caines passion. “I like to make the connection between the health of the soil, the quality of the grass, and how the cow gets healthy as she eats what is intended for her nature,” said Abel-Caines, who places equal value on human nutrition. [Read more…]
What do you do when your available farmland decreases by 70 percent in one year, and the remaining 30 percent is half woodlands or stone fields? If you’re Jay, Darlene, Justin and Amy Dame in Johnston, RI, you turn to pick-your-own.
Ancestors of the Dame family, the Browns, have lived on the current farm since the 1840s. At that time, the farm had a few cows but primarily sustained itself as a market garden farm selling to local Mom and Pop stores. [Read more…]