BARRE, VT — The 2016 4-H State Day brought more than 150 of Vermont’s most talented 4-H’ers to Barre to enlighten and entertain the public about their 4-H club work through their action exhibits, stage presentations, illustrated talks, tabletop exhibits and more.
University of Vermont Extension 4-H sponsored the event, which was held May 21 at the Barre Civic Center. While all participants were winners at the regional level, those chosen as state winners are invited to repeat their presentations and performances or display their photos, posters and tabletop exhibits at Eastern States Exposition in West Springfield, MA, in September.
They are, listed alphabetically by category:
- Action Exhibit: Caledonia County 4-H Dairy, Danville (From Our Parlor to Your Table); Flying Hooves 4-H Club, Colchester, and the High Hopes 4-H Club, Fairfax (The Crayon Crew); Leprechauns 4-H Club, Johnson (Old-fashion Cake Doughnuts); REAL 4-H Club, Rutland (Pillowcases); Silver Stars 4-H Club, St. Johnsbury (Equine Road Safety)
- Fashion Revue: Raven Collett, Benson; Charlotte Doyle, Starksboro; Sheyenne Miller, Randolph; Nicole Palmer, Weybridge
- Photo Design: Whitney Dunklee, Vernon; Emeillia Gomo, Chester; Kelsey Kissell, Vernon Caroline Murray, East Montpelier; Kassidy Wyman, Cambridgeport
- Photography: Jessica Bortz, Colchester; Whitney Dunklee, Vernon; Erin Egan, Essex Junction; Arin Kenyon, Chester; Luke McReynolds, Danville; Katie Niekrewicz, Williston; Julia Paul, Newport; Holly Weglarz, Hartland; Kassidy Wyman, Cambridgeport
- Posters: Chloe Barewicz, Jericho (Why This Color?); Morgan Michaud, East Hardwick (Sugar on Snow); Kassidy Wyman, Cambridgeport (Equine Evolution)
- Stage Presentation (Group): Nora Allen and Noelani Rupp, both from South Burlington (Irish dance); Geneva Audette and Alex Taylor, both from South Royalton (singing); Border Livestock Plus 4-H Club, Derby Line (skit); River Riders II, Cambridgeport (song and guitar); Flying Hooves 4-H Club, Colchester and High Hopes 4-H Club, Fairfax (Wizard of Oz skit); Midnight Riders 4-H Club Hinesburg (skit/drill team); Starry Nights 4-H Club, Jericho (dance); Whispering Pines 4-H Club, Westford (song and dance)
- Stage Presentation (Individual): Abigail Armstrong, Granville, NY (dance); Jazmine Bogie, Lyndonville (singing and guitar); Lexy Brooks, Whitehall, NY (singing); Ava Carroll, South Burlington (dance); Raven Collett, Benson (song/dance); Sieanna Forkey, Waterbury (singing); Molly Patenaude, Derby Line (piano); Audrey Teague, Jeffersonville (song); Frankie Thompson, Newport (violin); Violet Tuckerman, South Woodstock (gymnastics); Tamara Tyminski, Wallingford (singing); Morgan Van Blunk, Eden (karate pinan); Kelly Xu, South Burlington (piano solo)
- Tabletop Exhibits: Kayli Aldrich, Athens (Kayli’s Pickling Power); Ruby Proulx, Calais (Eat More Quail); Kassidy Wyman, Cambridgeport (Equine Wounds)
Other top exhibitors at 4-H State Day were:
- Demonstrations (Individual): Senior Division – Raymond Bushey, Addison (Life and Coo of a Pigeon); Junior Division – Tanya Wheeler, Wilmington (The Wonderful World of Driving)
- Illustrated Talk: Junior Division – CC Allembert, Wilmington (Know Your English Bridle); Gabriel Michaud, East Hardwick (Steers); Noelani Rupp, South Burlington (Brahmas)
- Non-Clothing Sewing: Nicole Cutler, Waterbury (stuffed horse); Annie Fiegel, Arlington (needle felting); Corinna Hobbs, Hinesburg (forest animal bag); Casey Sue Thompson, Brandon (patchwork pillow)
- Public Speaking: Senior Division – North Johnson, Poultney (Budweiser Clydesdales); Holly Weglarz, Hartland (The Heart of a 4-H’er). Junior Division – Julia Howe, Tunbridge (My 4-H Adventures); Emerson Jolliffe, Barnet (ADHD and Riding Horses)
- Quilt: Laura Rosenthal, East Arlington
Tabletop Exhibits (category winners but not selected for Eastern States): Carrie Egan, Essex Junction (How to Make a Sock Cat); Erin Egan, Essex Junction (Calligraphy: The Art of Beautiful Writing); Emeillia Gomo, Chester (My Intro to Dressage); Arin Kenyon, Chester (Spotted Draft Horses); Gabriel Michaud, East Hardwick (Farmall Tractors) ; Lincoln Michaud, East Hardwick (Western Native Americans); Brooke Putzier, Jericho (Eventing)
- Technology (Video): Caroline Murray, East Montpelier (Running Horse)
- Tinker/Maker: Aiden Bogie, Lyndonville (Farm Hand)
For more information about the UVM Extension 4-H program, call the State 4-H Office at 802-656-0311 or 800-571-0668 (toll-free in Vermont).